La Malvar 2024

The year was 2016 when Aldi Nord has launched a publicity campaign which has somehow irritated me: 

 


 

 Translated to English, this would mean something like: "Uncomplicated, because you don't need 10 kinds of lemon varieties, but just lemons."

This simplification of products, its specificities and varieties to the general public is one of the main reasons why we are losing a rich heritage of fruits and vegetables a bit all over the world. There are major parts of our society which are ignoring the diversity existing in our nature and how you can use it to enrich your diet. 

Exactly the same happens with grapes. 

I was born in a wine region that still partially insists on planting "international" grapes  in order to make it more visible and understandable to the external market. Even though you can find some nice examples of Syrah around, I have tried too many Gewürztraminer or Cabernet Sauvignon that do not really reflect the characteristics of the terroir where they grow and make most of the wines anonymous.

In order not to lose this heritage and to enrich our wine experiences, I can only recommend to try to discover new grapes.

That is what I have done with Malvar

Originary from the spanish region of Castilla, there are only 39ha of it planted, being already inscribed in the list of threatened species.

Even though Jancis Robinson has described it as a grape that is rather rustic in its aromatic profile, I have found this La Malvar tremendously fresh dominated by elegant citrus and very far away from "rustic".

In fact, I found it fresher than I was expecting after having came across the information that the wine also had a passage in barrels.  Still, it is not really noticeable as I felt it has only given more depth to the complexity the amphora offers to it. 

Without being a tremendously aromatic wine, it offers great texture and proportionates a broad gastronomic pairing possibilities.

This was not the first time that I came across this wine and it was definitely not the last as the world needs this kind of grapes to enrich our days.  

  

 

 

16,5/20

Country: Spain
Region: Castilla
Grapes: Malvar
Winemaker: Margarita Madrigal, Gonzalo Rodriguez, Alexandra Schmedes
12,5%
Link: https://www.bodegasmasquevinos.com/producto/la-malvar-de-mas-que-vinos/

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sophenia Antysynthesis Parcela Río Seco 2022

Quinta da Fata Encruzado Crú 2021

Casa da Passarella O Fugitivo Bastardo 2020